Posts Tagged expsoure 24

Blood cell procedure

To go through the procedure of seeing the blood cells within me, I went to the Microbilogy department at Coventry University.

According to the booklet I was given the procedure of seeing the blood cells is a basic first year one. The whole process should only take a bout half an hour to get the specimens ready. To save time a technician made the stain (Giemsa) as she knew the solutions and measurements need to make the final product.

Equipment needed was a few slides, throughout science experiments you always make a few specimens incase of mistakes, spreading slide, a pencil to label the slides, anti-sceptic wipes, sot click lance, a peppetite, and lastely my Blood! I have kept a third slide separate to see if it can be scanned at the research area of the University Hospital. Since the technician said he might be able to stain it, I kept this slide unstained incase it was a different staining solution than the one used in the Microbiology Labs at the University.

Below is the soft click lance and an ant-sceptic wipe for afterwards to clean the pin hole wound.

The final result should be a thin layer of blood cells across the slide. The the layer is too think then the cells will over lap.

The next stage is to cover the slides in methanol and then Giemsa (Stainer). this stain will then bring up the cells up and have more contrast to the images.

The Slides are then ready to go under the microscope once the Stain has been washed off and the slides are dry.

,

Leave a comment

X-ray Finals

These images are the results of testing 3 methods of trying to capture and digitalise the awkward shapes of the ‘negatives’ given to me from my Orthodontics. To obtain these ‘negatives’ from the Orthodontics, I first asked a Hygienist Nurse friend of mine if it was possible to borrow them. She said it was possible as long as they were taken for a medical reason in the first place as they would not take images for the sake of an art course, and that I might have to pay to borrow them. I thought this was fair enough and so with this in mind and my wallet, I headed over to my Orthodontics. I approached the receptionist and asked if it was possible to borrow them and explained my project. She was unsure and so asked a senior receptionist who was more in a negative way of thinking I would not be able to. In the end the surgery manager was involved and she said it would be possible to borrow them since I did not require to keep them. However she stressed that they do not usually allow the x-rays out of the surgery back to the patients since the ‘negatives’ do not even belong to them nor me but to the NHS for documentation and ID-ing purposes. But first of all my file from 2007 had to be archived downstairs for them to be able to get them out, if they were not there then they would be stored in the loft where the surgery owner was the only one allowed for insurance purposes. It was pointed out to me that he would not be pleased about going up there.

In the end the ‘negatives’ were still archived downstairs and for me to keep them I had to sign a document saying a date the ‘negatives’ would be returned by hand and that I would not damage them in anyway with liquids or light.

Overall I am pleased with how these images have turned out with the amount of detail in the root part of the teeth as well as the different areas of the skull that have shown up. To print these big would be great and to shock the the audience with the sheer size presented to them to maximise the amount of detail you can see.

I decided to leave the scale in the top right hand corner of the side on image to give the viewer more information about me and to make it more personal.

,

Leave a comment

X-rays Attempt 1

Seeing the work of Nick Veasey and his use of X-rays, I got to thinking about literal portraiture of showing the human features in a form we can not see from the exterior in its detail. Therefore I was reminded of the time I had dental x-rays for some orthadontical work.

My first attempt at capturing the xrays was to use the main A3 flat bed scanner. The idea was to scan the xrays on the glass and then either crop down later or use a tool on the scanning software to crop to the image size required, after the preview and before the main scan. However the scan did not exactly come out in all of it’s detail nor colour. Furthermore the scanner picked up too much detail and showed up all the marks on both the negative and the glass being that the negative was too transparent.

,

Leave a comment

Project Help Required

My interest lie within macro/micro photography and previous interest in the human body. Therefore for my Third Year photography final major project at Coventry University, I am interested in creating self portraits or general portraits comprised of close up images of:

  • cells
  • tissue
  • skin, mouth swabs
  • hairs
  • genetic structures
  • blood
  • saliva
  • bacteria

The images I have seen and would like to get are shown below.

However My need for help lies within access to the machinery to create such images and the know how knowledge of generally obtaining. Therefore if someone knows of any projects by research students, Medical personnel or a facility where I can create my images then could you please let me know, with the email address below, where abouts they are located so I contact them, or send them in my direction to see if they are available to help.

Thank you for your time.
My email is: craig_1507@hotmail.com

image from Warwick University website

image from Warwick University website

,

Leave a comment